My Arrival




First impressions are sharp, often clearly defined by the "shock" of newness or shadowed by our preconceived notions of what we have read, heard about prior to arrival or meeting. Mine was foreshadowed by fear and a little bit of desperation. No. I take that back. A lot of desperation. I was dropped of at the airport around 4 a.m. and didn't get a proper goodbye with my dog Scout. My beautiful Golden who I hoped to bring with me, which is why my flight detoured to Seattle and then on to Houston.  Had he been crated and carried on board Alaska Air required dogs go to Seattle and on to their destinations. Scout was too big for his crate. Part of me was relieved as I didn't want him to go in cargo. I was sure I was to be reunited with him again soon.
My plane left San Jose, jumped to Seattle and finally arrived in Houston after 5p.m. I had 100 miles and 3 hours to go before we arrived in San Augustine. Sarah and her brother Jack picked me up and we blew down the highway sometimes at 90 miles per hour. Jack and Sarah are 80 years old! I stopped reading the speedometor in the giant red Chevy truck and quietly wished I was back in Pacific Grove, Ca. This was my "almost" new home. If I survived the drive.

I came here because, East Texas was a safe haven. A place I was welcome. A place to begin again --but wait a minute, I am talking about Texas! Texas is sprawling, the roads are straight fm (farm roads) and highway that went on and on. Red dirt country roads that lead to more red dirt country roads. Run down trailer homes, confederate flags and virtually no people to be seen.  So much space in between. Fire ant hills were evenly distributed down the roads. Forest framed billboards listing the ten commandments or Jesus which tell you you are smack dab in the bible belt. Oh... and lets not forget about the 5 deadly snakes that require everyone to buy and wear protective boots at all times!

protective boots and cotton mouth snake with eggs attached

Steamy, muggy air, electrical storms, hurricanes, and tornadoes. Not hospitable territory by any means, but there were beacons of light, Sarah and her animals, Geraldine with her bright perky disposition and her husband John who cooked Klondike style. Sarah's brother Jack was there too. Playing solitaire endlessly for hours and days on end.

~kao








Comments

Popular Posts