Tough as Nails
Texas is always hot and entirely humid, even when it's not. Barry Lopez wrote in Arctic Dreams that the Eskimos have over twenty-five words describing snow. I have to wonder if Texans have that many for humidity.
I can only think of three: sultry, sticky, unbearable.
Colorful expressions are what Texans are all about. Boasting at times and full of attitude. There is most certainly Texas pride seeping through everything, especially the heat and withstanding it despite what the barometer tells you.
If they don't have singular words for it, they certainly have some colorful expressions, to say the least.
"It's so hot it's like walking through soup."
"Even Satan sweatin' today" or
" It's so hot I'll have to take stuff off that I really ought to keep on."
One hot afternoon while I was piled with ice packs and had two fans pointed at me, I glanced out the window, and Sarah was wearing a turtleneck while riding the lawnmower. And, yes, I said turtleneck. Nothing was moving in the mid-afternoon heat, and the mercury was still rising. I would not describe the lawn as a small patch but a good stretch around the property- at least two acres to be mowed. A full couple of hours of work.
I said, " Don't you want to wait until it cools off?"
Sarah, with her matter of fact tone and tough as nails attitude, replied gruffly," No, it's only 93.
~kao




Comments
Post a Comment